Search This Blog

Monday, September 24

Brilliant Crafts & Lovely Gifts

I saw this idea on a blog, Quirkiecraft, and decided to make it into a cute and very sweet birthday gift for a close friend.

Step 1: Gather supplies

  1. Blank Canvas
  2. Glue
  3. Random bits and bobs from around your house
  4. Spray Paint (any color, I chose red for love)
  5. Piece of scrap paper
  6. Scissors
Step 2: Block off a shape on the canvas
I picked a heart because I'm going to put a picture in it, as I said in the beginning this is a gift for a friend. Assuming she is ok with me posting a picture of her, I will post a tutorial on how I did that.

  1. Cut a shape out of the scrap paper
  2. secure the scrap paper on the canvas
I used tape, but you could use double-sided tape or glue.



Step 3: Cover the Canvas

  1. Gather bits and bobs
You want lightweight objects of varying shapes and sizes so you can easily cover space on the canvas & hang it.

      2. Glue the pieces on the canvas
Glue the pieces strategically,i.e. large pieces on the corners & small pieces around the shape you blocked off


Step 3: Paint the Canvas

  1. Secure a work area outside or a well ventilated area
I used the grass because I didn't want to go get butcher paper and the grass gets cut regularly.
     2.  Shake your can of spray paint for 1-2 minutes.




   3.  Let it dry for about 1 hour.


Step 4. Finishing touches

  1. Add more pieces if desired (I added red pieces b/c I wanted a little sparkle)
  2. Peel off the scrap paper
  3. Touch up the edges to get a clean line surrounding the shape


 

VOILA!!!

You're done! I have to admit this was quite a lengthy project, I worked on it for about a week. However, its a simple and very sweet gift for a friend.

Have you seem any other interesting 'junk art' pieces?

4 comments:

  1. this is sooo cool! it does sound like a lot of work but the final effect is brilliant! well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thanks so much! I'm glad you liked it! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. definitely trying this out! very cute!

    -kim
    found the route

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for your comment. I'm glad you like it, please let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete