Search This Blog

Saturday, November 2

I just ran a 1/2 Marathon...COME AT ME. BRO!

Hello everyone!
I've been away for awhile, no good reason really, I just wasn't motivated and was on the road until about a month ago. But I did an amazing thing this past Sunday and I’d really like to share it with you. What did I do, you ask? Ohh, you know, just RAN A HALF MARATHON!!!!

Well, I walked a half marathon. My official bib time was 3:35:24.2, which is about a 16 minute/ mile pace! I think that’s a pretty speedy walk. You? In any case, I wanted to wait until I had some pictures before I posted this and share my little story.
First off, its important to note that I’m 70 pounds overweight. Yes, you read that correctly, 70 pounds overweight. This is not something I’m proud of but its a fact and I think its relevant to my training and excitement about being able to overcome this great feat. Remember, this is the type of stuff people put on their bucket lists.
So to start, I trained for about a month, though the fact that I was going to be doing this race was in the back of my mind for about 2. I didn't actually train very hard and my first time hitting 13.1 miles was on race day! I was mostly concerned about pace and making sure I could get (and stay) where I needed to be to finish the race. I started out walking on a treadmill for about 30 minutes to 1 hour for a week, just to get an idea of the pace. Then I hit the road, for my first trial I walked 3 miles in 45 minutes! I knew that that was a great speed but I was still scared about the endurance component because I needed to last for 10 more miles. After that trial, I actually didn't walk again. I did cross training. Cross training is key! I did a month of Zumba classes, not daily, but near it. And I have to say that is what got me through it. Zumba is a very intense cardio workout and long distance running/walking is about maintaining your heart rate. On race day, I knew that was what saved me. I only felt my heart rate go up once and it was around mile 3 when I was trying to make up my speed. Being so overweight and not especially fit, I can attest to the absolute fact that mind overcomes matter. The thought of not finishing never entered my mind and I thought about alot of things during those 13 miles… pancakes, sloppy joes, massages, Lady Antebellum, being able to finish after being hit by a car. Yes, I thought about finishing even if I was hit by a car! That is the level of determination that something like this requires!
Even though I thought about what I would do, or like to do, after I finished the race, I couldn't imagine myself crossing the finish line. While, in my mind, I knew this was an inevitable step of finishing the race, I just couldn't picture it. That is why I cried when that moment actually came. I was so overwhelmed with accomplishment and a sense of pride in myself that I just started crying. Not wells of tears, you don’t have enough water in your system after that much physical exertion to cry those types of tears but a soulful cry. A my heart, my gut is trembling cry. I can honestly say that there are few times in my life where I've worn my tears proudly, maybe just this once, but I will always be proud of those tears.
I don’t mean this to be a self glorifying post, I hope its inspirational. I hope that someone out there in the ether reads this and thinks to themselves “If she can do it...so can I!”

Keep calm and persevere my friends!

Sincerely,

Minela

The emotional finish line moment ;)

5 comments:

  1. Reading this story I felt inspired to sign up for one these! You did amazing and I can't wait to do something like this!!! Great job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, I'm honestly so glad! I'm honored to be able to inspire someone!!! Good luck! Let me know how it goes.

      -Minela

      Delete
  2. Wow that is awesome! I was set to run the St. Jude Marathon in Memphis, Dec 7. Anyway we had some sleet and ice and they cancelled it. It has never been cancelled in the history of the marathon. I was supper sad. Anyway, I am now running it Feb. 2nd in New Orleans. I have been training for it for 8 months. So excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks awesome! Congratulations!! I've been thinking about running a marathon lately, I don't know that I'm ready for that though. I'm glad they rescheduled, though!

      Good luck and be sure to tell me how it goes!
      -Minela

      Delete