Well, I went to IMATS this past weekend and since it was my first time I thought I'd share my thoughts as well as some tips for your first time!
The Experience:The event was not as crazy as everyone says. Yes, there are lines and yes, there are people but the longest line I waited in was about 45 minutes.
- If there are specific items you just have to have, come early!
- To just shop, go on Sunday.
- To meet YT gurus, go on Saturday.
- Bring cash and plastic, some booths only accept 1 form of payment.
- Wear comfortable shoes!!!! You will be walking around sometimes with little space around you and standing in lines, you don't need 6-inch stilettos to do that.
- Food: they had a food court open at the LA convention. I've heard people say you need a snack, I didn't find that.
- Some booths have crazy lines: Sigma, Lime Crime.These wrapped around for what seemed like days!
- Some are long but not excessive (about 20-45 minute waits): SugarPill, MAC, MUFE.
- It is not as special of an experience as it seems. I don't really know how to elaborate on that, but prepare yourself to be let down a bit. Somehow, it doesn't seem to be as big a crazy and the deals seem to have tapered down.
- If you can make it, go to the LA event!!! Its the first and the biggest event of the season.
I'm glad I went but wouldn't go again. I think it is more fun when you go to meet YT gurus because you get to see them in the flesh and realize they're just people too, like meeting a celebrity. However, on the makeup front, its basically Black Friday for makeup...a fun event...once.
I really hope this helps! I know I was really wanting to read something like this before I went and I didn't find it.
And some awesome FX makeup:
Just more awesome makeup: